From the Richmond Daily Dispatch August 7, 1862:
In the hands of the Lincolnites.
–James Clarke, the money clerk of the Southern Express Company, started from Richmond several weeks since, to visit his parents in Baltimore. He was met on his arrival and placed in jail, and was informed by the officer making the arrest that he had been expecting him to arrive for two weeks before that. Mr. Clarke is now at the Rip Raps.
Rip Raps is an artificial island built in 1817 across the channel from Old Point Comfort. Fort Calhoun (name changed to Fort Wool during the Civil War) was built on the island to complement Fort Monroe (on Old Point Comfort) in defending Hampton Roads.It also housed prisoners.
The Southern Express Company took over from The Adams Express Company on May 1, 1861.
The image of Fort Wool from the December 17, 1862 issue of Harper’s Weekly is hosted at Son of the South